Google Translate

Monday, August 26, 2013

My memories: picking a cherry seed from a cliff

People do dumb things all of the time. But most of the time, you don't realise that you're doing a dumb thing. This was one of those times for me.

I was about seven years old. It was my first holiday to Australia (somewhere in Western Australia). Among the many places that we went to was a mountain. I don't remember too much about that place, except that there was a cliff.

I had been eating cherries that afternoon after lunch. There were a number of cherries in my hand, and as I ate them, I made sure that I kept the seed from each eaten cherry. And so I was happily eating cherries while walking with my family towards a bridge at the cliff.

Just then, a seed fell from my hand! Not wanting to lost any seeds, I calmly walked up to where the seed was. I picked it up, then walked back to rejoin my family.

Little did I know what panic I had caused them! Apparently, the seed had rolled quite near to the edge of the cliff. If I had missed my step, I could have toppled over the edge!

But I didn't realise the danger I had been in. All I had wanted to do was to retrieve my cherry seed.

Years later, my dad recounted the story to some friends, and I was deeply embarrassed. But then he also said that he had purposely made sure that everyone stayed silent while I went to pick up the seed. He had been afraid that if anyone had made any noise, I would be startled and cause an accident.

Fortunately, my guardian angel was watching over me that day, and I am now able to recall that memory here.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment