Google Translate

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Samsung's first social media event... loses the "wow"

Samsung Innov8
Thanks to Daniel from Samsung for the invitation to their first social media event. Held at the Samsung shop at Vivocity, it was an announcement party for the new Innov8 phone. There were about 15 of us there, half of whom were familiar faces. (There's a real need for new blood!)

After filling our stomachs satisfactorily, we were treated to a presentation about the Innov8. We were briefed about its 8-megapixel camera, wireless connectivity, and localised maps.

But the highlight of the evening was the photo contest. The rules were simple: take three pictures with your camera that demonstrate how you are inspired by the Innov8. While the others took good quality pics, I settled for random shots. Ya, quite lame, but I enjoy such randomness, instead of camwhoring. The top 3 winners won an Innov8 each (ooooooh), though they are now required to use it to take their next 20 pictures, which should be no problem for them.

Having experienced Nokia's similar events for their new phones, I found myself comparing this event to Nokia's. It didn't take me long to realise why I found greater satisfaction in the Nokia events.

At Nokia, I got to play with the product.

As in hands-on experimentation with no marketing ploy. Yes, the product managers raved about their phones' features, but nothing could beat my figuring out if the phones satisfied my (albeit limited) requirements.

Unfortunately, the same couldn't be said for this Samsung event. There was no Innov8 to play with. It could be due to a variety of reasons (no trial phones left, phones are already on sale, management resistance, etc.), but the lack of a physical phone was really glaring.

I later found out that there was an Innov8 within the store (I played with the Omnia and was moderately amused by its touchscreen feature). But I think it defeats the exclusivity of the event if my only access to a physical phone was through the store's exhibit.

The lack of a phone also made me question the rationale of the contest. We had to show how the Innov8 inspired us... by using our own phones! That struck me as overly ironic. The Innov8 would really inspire me if I could take those 8-megapixel pictures with the phone itself. It would be better if we could compare pictures from our cameras and the Innov8. I think that would be an even greater "wow" moment, assuming that the Innov8's picture quality is as good as they say.

Alas, it was not to be so. Now, if someone asks me what I think about the Innov8, I'm more likely to refer him to the product brochure or website.

Note: Daniel did say that we could request for trial phones, but we'd have to go through the corporate hoops and hurdles to acquire one. I think that's quite an overkill, since all that any of us needed would be half an hour to play with one.

--

2 comments:

WishBoNe said...

I agree with the overkill just to get a trial set to play with. I would have liked one or 2 demo sets to play with.

A real pity because I went with hopes that I could touch the demo set without resorting to the one in the store exhibit.

Yuhui said...

WishBoNe: Ah, good to know that I wasn't the only one who felt that way. BTW nice seeing you there!

Post a Comment