Google Translate

Monday, March 19, 2007

De facto promotion

It was Environmental Challenge Organisation Singapore (ECO Singapore)'s annual general meeting today, and I was only asked to attend yesterday. When my team partner, who's in the Exco, told me about it, she also asked if I wanted to take over as the Web Team's head.

She said that she'd been busy with work and needed to let go of some of her responsibilities, including this role. So I agreed, but only if she stayed on because my workload is going to increase in the middle of the year.

The change in roles was officially announced at the AGM today. By the way, the AGM was attended by the Exco members only. As a small organisation with no real membership, the Exco members are the de facto members, so they have to attend the meeting.

How did I end up with this job? I started volunteering at ECO Singapore in January 2006 as a member of their Web team. During that time, the team consisted of only me and my team partner, who's also a founding member of ECO Singapore. Along the way, someone else joined the team, but I was still the second member of the team, and therefore the "deputy head".

Now that the former team leader has stepped aside, I've been "promoted". I don't foresee any change in the team's plans right now, so everything's still status quo. As the Exco member, I guess I'll have to attend the monthly Exco meetings, which means more time eaten up.

As if that's not enough, back in December, I also volunteered as copy editor for ECO Singapore's publication, Express! It's published quarterly, so that shouldn't be too time-consuming, right? But with about 40 pages of content (and no ads!), that means that there are a lot of articles to edit.

However, I enjoy editing. It's something that I've always wanted to get into, because I tend to pick out little mistakes in newspapers, magazines, written pieces, etc. When I was an intern at the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, I helped out in editing their journal too. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to edit anything else after that, the usual excuse being that I "lack experience". With Express!, I hope to get that out of the way.

So, editing and Exco and Web stuff. Looks like my plate is not only full, but almost spilling over. I still wonder what I've got myself into...

--

No comments:

Post a Comment