Google Translate

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Chinese New Year parody song part 3

It's Chinese New Year again, which means it's time for another verse to that good ol' Chinese New Year song:
GST went up again,
Gahmen welcome foreign t'lent.
Locals squeezed upside-and-down,
Turn my smile into a frown.

Gong xi, gong xi, gong xi ni.
Explanations for non-Singaporeans:
GST

Goods and Services Tax, the local consumption tax, which will go up from five to seven percent in 2007. The rationale was to increase the government's coffers so that it can spend more on social welfare programs.

Gahmen

Local pronunciation of "government".

"squeezed upside-and-down"

Local expression which means to be pressured from all sides by external, uncontrollable forces. (The actual phrasing is "squeeze upside-down", but I needed an extra word, so I added "and".)

I had nearly forgotten to continue with this "tradition", so I had only come up with the lines two days ago! This time, I decided to reflect on the current mood in Singapore and composed something that is more political-social.

For the sake of completeness, here's the entire song so far:
I was sleeping on my bed,
Everyone thought I was dead.
Doctor brought a coffin in,
I jumped out and he jumped in.

Gong xi, gong xi, gong xi ni.

It was such a peaceful night,
Vampire gave me a bite.
Sunrise made me feel so blue,
Now I want to bite you too.

Gong xi, gong xi, gong xi ni.

Gave a diamond to my girl.
She said she would rock my world.
Speeding towards a night of fun.
Didn't see the tree in front.

Gong xi, gong xi, gong xi ni.

GST went up again,
Gahmen welcome foreign t'lent.
Locals squeezed upside-and-down,
Turn my smile into a frown.

Gong xi, gong xi, gong xi ni.
Previous entries: verse 2 in 2005, verse 3 in 2006.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment