Google Translate

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Holiday in Kuala Lumpur day 2

After breakfast in the hotel, we went to the Petronas Towers to meet Terina, who was already in the queue for tickets to the observatory deck. The line was long, snaking four times in the small concourse. I took over the place from her so that she could resume her breakfast. Some time later, I saw that, after about 50 people behind me, there was a sign indicating that there were no more tickets for the day.

I stood in line for about an hour before reaching the counter. We were given the 3:45pm timeslot. With some time to kill before lunch, we went to the Aquaria, a newly opened aquarium at KLCC. When buying the tickets, the guy behind the counter asked if I was her boyfriend or fiance! We corrected him and laughed it off.

While there were lots of exhibits of sea creatures, there were also a few for land animals, e.g. snakes, spiders, a monkey, and more. We also stayed for a mermaid show, which was just a female employee taking occasional underwater dips in a small tank -- while dressed in a bikini top and tail-fin bottom.

Next stop was Chinatown, which we went to by LRT. I thought it strange that the automated ticketing machine dispensed only single-trip tickets, whereas for round-trip tickets, one had to buy them from a ticketing booth. The trip across five stations took about 10-15 minutes in the air-conditioned two-carriage trains.

We walked to Petaling Street and browsed the few stores. We also had lunch there. I had prawn noodles, which came in a spicy soup that left my tongue tingling. We then shopped for the next two hours or so. Our final loot: two soccer jerseys for Terina, a leather belt and a pair of Timberland shoes for me.

We then took the LRT back to KLCC for the Petronas Towers observatory deck visit. We waited about 10 minutes in a small theater, watching how the towers were built, before being ushered to a large elevator, where we were whisked up 42 floors in under a minute.

The view from up there was rather spectacular, though I was disappointed that there were a few skyscrapers directly in the line of sight. We were given only about 10 minutes up there, so we took a few photos and admired the view.

Terina had to leave then, so we went back to the hotel to relax. At 7pm, we walked to Bukit Bintang for dinner. Terina had recommended the restaurants at Starhill, but we found them a bit too pricey. We walked around for a while and were amused that, after crossing a road, the shopping malls and hotels were replaced by shophouses with dodgy stores. So I suggested that we turn back and eat at Kenny Roger's Roasted Chicken. It was a roadside outlet but not as noisy as I had expected.

After dinner, we stopped by a night market, but found that the things on sale there were similar to what we had found in Chinatown. So we walked back to the hotel for an early night.


No comments:

Post a Comment