Google Translate

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Fire drill

Lesson on fire extinguishers
The office building had a fire drill today. Now, normally, I assume that while there would be some advance warning about such a drill, I didn't expect something as, erm, un-drill-like to happen.

Yesterday, we received an e-mail about the drill. That was to be expected, so that we could work around it, for instance, conducting meetings or meeting clients. The e-mail stated that the drill would be between 9:30am and 10:30am.

I arrived in the office just before 9am. At around 9, there was an announcement through the building-wide public address system that the drill would start in about five minutes.

Wha...?

I thought the point of a drill is that it happens unexpectedly. You know, like in the event of a real fire!

Anyway, I didn't relish the thought of walking down 26 floors, so I took the elevator down with a few colleagues. We hung around in the lift lobby and, when the alarm rang, took a slow stroll across the road to the designated assembly area. Slowly, more people from the building congregated there.

Fire drill assembly area
(Apparently, capturing panoramic views with Keta-i introduces a colour tinge to the final photo. Nuts.)

We were there for about an hour when someone started a lesson on using the fire extinguisher. He was speaking through a megaphone, so it was difficult to hear what he was saying. Anyway, it started to drizzle, so my colleagues and I started to leave. Someone remarked that we may have appeared rude because we were leaving in the middle of a demonstration that was attended by everyone else.

And that was my first fire drill at this place. Previously, at Fullmark, we would hold fire drills every quarter, and we were timed! I should know because I was designated as a fire warden, ha. We aimed to constantly reduce the time needed to evacuate the building. While everyone took it lightly too, I felt that there was more urgency there than here. Maybe it's because Fullmark is located in an industrial area, where the chances for an emergency are higher.

In the event of an emergency at my current workplace, we will all die!

--

Technorati tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment