Google Translate

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Mozilla Firefox commercial

Mozilla Firefox
Some time back, I teased about a collaboration. Now, I'm ready to give the full story.

Announcing... my Mozilla Firefox commercial!

Making this commercial turned out to be almost a year-long project. For nine months, it was nothing more than an idea in my mind, waiting to be turned into celluloid -- or bytes, as the case may be. In the process, I missed the "Firefox Flicks" contest, which was my original intention, but that's the price I pay for procrastination.

Finally, it was at the prodding of a friend that I finally got down to doing it. I did a quick storyboard on two sheets of notebook paper, then worked on the logistics.

It turned out that the location was the most difficult area. Would I need to ask for permission from the property's owner? Would they turn me down? At my friend's suggestion, I went with "guerilla" filming.

The other area that worried me was casting. I had my female lead already, but wondered who would be my male lead. As luck would have it, I was brought to the attention of a friend who was enthusiastic about acting.

Shooting took place on June 20, 2006 at Funan the IT Mall, Singapore. The original location I had in mind didn't work out due to poor lighting, so we moved to the food court. The session lasted about two hours, followed by drinks with my actors.

Editing proved to be my most challenging portion. "Challenging" in that I had to bring myself to sit in front of the computer and edit two hours of footage and a few graphics into a 30-second commercial. Not only that, I had to compose the music without any proper musical instruments.

But I've done it, and I'm glad I did it. I learned one thing about myself: it took me a while to warm up to it, but I love directing! It's not the feeling of power in telling people what to do. It's that I'm the one who's making it happen! Translating my mental vision into physical reality was really a liberating moment for me.

And that, in a nutshell, is the story behind this commercial.

Watch it now!

--

Technorati tags: , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment