Google Translate

Saturday, August 05, 2006

"The Lake House"

The Lake House
First, let me admit that I am a sucker for love stories, especially the kind where the main protagonists know that they are destined to be together but are fated never to meet till the climactic moment.

So when I saw the trailer for "The Lake House", I knew that this would be a must-see movie, at least for me. And it starred Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock. Ever since I saw them in "Speed", I've thought that thay have good chemistry together. So to me, this was perfect casting.

I'd never seen the original, "Siworae", because I think Korean movies are made to be too dramatic to be believable. But from what I heard, "The Lake House" was a more even-handed and believable story.

Well, it's believable if you can get past the idea of a magical mailbox that handles mail two years apart. (Which must be terrible when receiving and sending legitimate mail!) Also, I like the idea of the two characters writing actual letters to each other. In this 21st century of emails and instant messaging and SMSes, there's a romantic notion about writing physical, "snail mail" love letters.

Fortunately, the film isn't all about the characters reading and writing mail. There are actual conversations that occur between them. While it boggled my mind about how that would work in actual letter writing, it helped the movie move along and brought the lovers closer together. My favourite scene was when Alex was telling Kate about his father. Although he was writing in a cafeteria, she was brought "magically" to him so that their letters became a to-and-fro talk between them. Such scenes made me appreciate their relationship more intimate.

Acting-wise, a lot of people will say that Keanu Reeves can't act beyond looking like he's on drugs. In this film, though, I found Sandra Bullock to be the weaker actor. She had this perpetually depressed look throughout the film. I suppose it was called for in the script, but she had such a long face throughout the two-hour movie that I felt put off when seeing her.

What I took away from this film was something that I think is very relevant for fast-paced Singapore: to get something that you really want, sometimes you have to be patient and wait for it. Even if it takes eight years.

--

Technorati tags: , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment