Google Translate

Saturday, July 22, 2006

My first Coke and Mentos fountains

Like most Netizens, I've seen the videos of the Coke and Mentos fountains. And I was sufficiently intrigued. Could I replicate that?

Deciding to work on a small-scale, I purchased a 500-millilitre bottle of regular Coca-Cola. It was kept on a normal store shelf, so it was unchilled. I also bought a roll of mint Mentos. Then, on a grass patch, I opened the bottle and dropped in two Mentos. The Coke fizzled out, like foam pouring out of a sputting top-load washing machine. (Why that imagery? Because I can't think of a better one. But it's close.) About one-third of the bottle was used.

But no fountain. I was disappointed. So I tried again. This time, I bought a 500mL bottle of chilled Coca-Cola Light (because I can't find Diet Coke, which is recommended). Also, I opted to drop in four Mentos. But by the time I dropped three Mentos, the drink had begun to fizzle out. More active than previously, but still no shooting out. This time, half of the bottle was emptied.

Yes, I was disappointed again. Perhaps the fountain doesn't work with small volumes. The recommended bottle is a 2-litre one.

Total damage: $2 (2 bottles of drink) + $0.70 (Mentos)

Why am I doing this? I don't know. But here's a wild idea: Singapore doesn't have any naturally occuring fountains. But since we're an engineered society, what's to stop me from creating my own fountain?

Or 41 fountains?

On August 9?

...

Okay, here's a really crazy idea: what if lots of people create their own 41-fountain salute on August 9 nationwide?

--

Technorati tags: , , ,

2 comments:

Ed, Edd & Eddy !!! said...

Since we are on the topic of crazy idea, what if we organise a bloggers meeting and each of us create our own fountain. And do what we bloggers do best, take photos and post them online!

Yuhui said...

Yeah, that'd be pretty cool too!

Post a Comment