Google Translate

Saturday, March 25, 2006

"V for Vendetta"

V for Vendetta
Jeff and I watched "V for Vendetta" today. Again, it's another comic book-based movie. And again, I had never read the comic before, though I'd heard of it. Like "Sin City", this is probably as close to the comic as I'm going to get.

Initially, I had thought that it was interesting that such a movie would be screened in Singapore, for a couple of reasons:
  • it's about a man engaging in terrorist activities,
  • the government portrayed in the movie believes that it does what it must for the good of the people,
  • it's rated NC-16, so it wasn't restricted to adults only,
  • it's election season here in sunny Singapore
After watching it, I felt that the political message had been overhyped. While there was a lot of politics in the back story, the movie is really about a man's revenge against the authorities for things done against him and his fellow prisoners. It was about a man who knew no other way to enact that vengeance except by destroying the symbols of power, e.g the high court and parliament building.

In other words, it's a sad, tragic story.

I suspect that most people who watch it will gloss over the political message (or be confused by it) and focus on V's story. And maybe that's why it's a "safe" movie (aside from it also being a blockbuster, and therefore must be screened).

There were many things that were good about the movie, but the part that I enjoyed the most? Okay, this probably sounds weird, but I really enjoyed listening to Hugo Weaving's voice. Ever since I saw him in the "Matrix" trilogies, I've always been enraptured by his voice. I don't know how to describe it, but his enunciation plus its deep tone makes it stand out from others. Even from behind the mask, his voice stood out distinctively.

It's like listening to Agent Smith all over again, except that now he's on our side, heh.

After the movie, it was dinner with Jeff and Angela, then I headed home.

--

Technorati tags: , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment