Google Translate

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Punggol LRT first experience

View from Punggol LRT

Today, I went to Punggol for my first time ever since the farms had been bulldozed to make way for a new housing estate. Before this, all I had known about the area was that it was grossly under-developed and the government was using almost all of the tricks in its books to get people to move there.

But I digress...

View of Punggol MRT/LRT station
(The blurriness is due to the train's tinted windows.)

Today also marked my first time in a Light Rapid Transit (LRT) train (I think that's what "LRT" stands for). The LRT is basically like a monorail system that runs through the housing estate. Each station is at most half a minute away. The trains consist of one carriage (for maximum 50 people comfortably?) and are driver-less. Yup, entirely automated.

Punggol and Sengkang LRT map

Since it was my first time using it, I just hopped on the first train and mentally crossed my fingers that it would bring me to my destination. Fortunately, it travels in one direction only. Unfortunately, it has two different loops, so I didn't know if I was on the correct one.

Inside the Punggol LRT train Inside the Punggol LRT train

I was the only person aboard this particular train, so like a pseudo-tourist, I snapped away inside. Based on this first experience, I have nothing bad to say about it except that the air-con is so cold! It's so cold that I could be comfortable with a woolen sweater. But then, that's what it's like in Singapore, isn't it? The air-con must always be set to its lowest temperature.

I wanted to take a picture of an LRT station, but I couldn't get a good angle. Oh well.

--

Technorati tags: , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment