Google Translate

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Move over DVD, here comes Blu-ray Disc!

Blu-ray Disc logo
Just when I've saved enough money to buy a DVD/HDD recorder as a VCR replacement, along come Sony and Pioneer to announce Blu-ray Disc (BD) players/recorders, targeted for early 2006 release. That is one reason I didn't splurge on a DVD/HDD recorder during the Christmas sales. In general, I will purchase an electronics item only if I am sure that it can be used for at least two years with minimal obsolescence.

(The other reason is that the prices of DVD/HDD recorders still seem quite high.)

Of course, by the time these BD players/recorders appear at a cost that I can justify to my wallet, Holographic Versatile Disc players/recorders would be just around the corner, maybe only a year or less away. And then the cycle begins anew.

Anyway, I'll wait and see how the BD players are in the local market. They'll probably be prohibitively expensive. Then it'll be down to the two-year-justification plan. As for DVD/HDD recorders, I think I'll just wave buh-bye to them.

Oh, and as for HD DVD, I say "*pfft*!" Lower capacity per disc, fewer supporters, won't even appear in Microsoft Xbox 360. And China's Enhanced Versatile Disc is just Chinese nationalism at work. Yeah, I'm with Blu-ray.

--

Technorati tags: , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment