Google Translate

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Christmas musical

Angela invted me to Barker Road Methodist Church's Christmas musical, so I went to see what it was about. It was held over three nights this past weekend, i.e. Friday to Sunday nights. And staged in Anglo-Chinese School (Barker Road)'s drama theatre.

Since I had arrived early (the musical was scheduled to start at 7:30pm, but I arrived at 6:30pm), I spent the free time touring the rebuilt campus. Where there used to be the familiar Lee, Middle and Lower Blocks and auditorium and small sloping field where Scout meetings were held, there are now three main buildings connected by a labyrinth of staircases and corridors. Where there used to be a large field is now the sports complex. Where there used to be a swimming pool is now a basketball court. Big change.

After my walkabout, I found a seat in the theatre and waited for the musical to begin. The story was simple: when the MRT train is stuck, which delays everyone's shopping plans, a girl tells her unbelieving best friend the birth of Jesus Christ. The nativity story is then reenacted with modern songs.

The story is given a few twists, e.g.
  • the angel Gabriel dressed as a glittery John Travolta in "Saturday Night Fever",
  • three (female) village gossipers, and
  • an Italian-sounding innkeeper (Innkeeper: "Cash or credit?" Joseph: (picking up fishing net) "Do you accept Nets?")
It ended with a few seconds from "The Passion of the Christ". (Ever since that show came out, churches seem to use it freely to tug at heartstrings. Enough already!)

And I met an old friend too. Back in secondary school, we went to a Scout Jamboree (camp) in Jakarta, Indonesia. Tonight, he played Joseph. We talked a bit, and then he had to help with packing up. After that, I talked with Angela, remarking about her hidden acting talent, which surprised me because she's quite a quiet, private person.

She was joining her cast and crew members for dinner, so I headed home.

--

Technorati tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment