Google Translate

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Return to comics -- Crisis!

Some time back, I lamented the state of comics and local comic shops.

For the time being, I take that back. And the reason can be summed up in one word: Crisis.

Crisis on Infinite Earths
If you're a comic book aficiando, then you know the significance of that word. If you don't, then all you really need to know is that the word "Crisis" has become a tagline for any major comic crossover in DC Comics, usually resulting in some kind of major revamp, retcon or reboot. This began with the landmark 12-issue series, "Crisis on Infinite Earths" (Wikipedia reference), published in 1985.

Identity Crisis Identity Crisis (Turner variant cover)
I've become excited over this C-word because DC Comics is now publishing a series of stories tied to their year-end crossover. It kicked off in the middle of the year with the landmark crossover, "Identity Crisis" (Wikipedia reference). In it, the superheroes were portrayed as less than noble, primarily because they were willing to wipe the minds of villains in order to protect the formers' secret identities. Needless to say, once the villains became aware of these actions, they weren't going to take it lightly.

Countdown to Infinite Crisis Infinite Crisis #1
Hence, "Infinite Crisis" (Wikipedia reference). This six-month journey began with "Prelude to Infinite Crisis" and ends with the seven-issue "Infinite Crisis". In between, lots of things have been happening in the DC Universe, which has shaken the status quo. Government conspiracy. Wonder Woman killed a villain. Superman and Batman are no longer friends. Several superheroes are killed.

It is that exciting!

And to help me along the way, I've discovered a new comic shop. Actually, it's been around for a while, but I stopped by it one day just to check it out and I've returned there a few times over already. It's Comics World at Parklane Shopping Mall. Yes, Parklane is quite a sleazy place, but I don't go to the other parts of the mall, so it's okay.

I get pretty good service, i.e. the staff is helpful even if they seem unsure about what they sell. And the owner seems very familiar, maybe he was a part-time actor? The service is quite unlike my old haunt, Comics Mart. (You know, I was going to put a link to them, but screw it, they don't need my referral.)

The staff there was fine at first, but over the years, I guess success got to their heads. Whenever I enquired about anything, I got this "holier-than-thou" attitude, as if they couldn't be bothered to serve. Maybe because I didn't buy every comic on their rack or participate in their hosted games or drop by every week.

Well, it seems like they're earning enough money, so I'm taking my business elsewhere. And at a good time too, judging by the quality stories that DC Comics is churning out with "Infinite Crisis".

Ah, it's good to be back.

--

Technorati tags: , ,

2 comments:

kachuaz said...

eh...brad meltzer is a novelist ah..

he does comics?

or u just borrow the cover? :)

btw try "millionaires" by him, is a great book

Yuhui said...

He's a novelist who also wrote the "Identity Crisis" miniseries. I don't think he's involved in the "Infinite Crisis" stories.

Post a Comment