Google Translate

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

"I know how to set up the World Wide Web!"

On the bus home, I was just minding my own business, listening to Pod! while SMSing away. At the stop outside NUS, three undergrads in their early twenties -- two guys and a girl -- boarded and sat near me.

The girl and one guy were talking about something that sounded like an introduction to tech support or something like that. (Pod!'s volume was turned low enough that I could hear their conversation because I don't want to get any more deaf.) So the girl said she knows how to do this and how to do that. And then she blurted:

"I know how to set up the World Wide Web!"

Instantly, I looked at her with a stupendous expression and mouthed the words, "Set up the World Wide Web?" She saw me but didn't respond. Not that I was looking for one. Anyway, her guy friend figured out that she meant setting up a website, e.g. configuring the web server, hosting pages, etc.

After that, their conversation drifted on to other things, like what she should wear to a party that night, so I just tuned out and focussed on my music and handphone.

To set up the World Wide Web, one would need to set up the underlying network, set up the various servers and routers, and then set up the protocols and rules and other stuff... Not easy.

--

Technorati tags: , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment