Google Translate

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Bad Sony Ericsson salesman!

Sony Ericsson Z520i
Sony Ericsson had a promotion over the weekend for some of its new handphones. One of them was the Sony Ericsson Z520i. I had been thinking of getting a new handphone, and when this model came up, I thought that I'd found the right one.

So I headed over to Suntec City, which was one of two locations of the roadshow. After angling through the crowds, I arrived at the booth. A salesman was standing there, so I approached him. For some reason, he looked vaguely familiar, like I'd seen him at school or selling something else.

Anyway, I asked him about the free DVD player that was bundled with the phone and he told me about it. Then I asked him how much I could get for SEZ, my current phone. He leafed through the folder of prices and I found the price: $100. Not bad, I thought I could only get $50 for it.

Then, just as I was about to ask him another question, he did the SUPREMELY STUPID THING that any sales-and-service person could ever do: he moved on. It's not like there was another customer demanding his attention, and it's not like he was the only SE person there. What was I, invisible??? Maybe because of my T-shirt and shorts, I looked too cheap for his $400+ wares.

Well, screw it. If he didn't want his commission, I didn't want to spend.

Anyway, at the counter, I saw various phones laid out. I picked up the Z520i and it's much smaller and lighter than I preferred. Then again, its target markets are women and teenagers, so I suppose the size makes sense for that. The lady at the counter saw me fiddling with the phone and said something that sounded unintelligible to me. I gave her a puzzled look. She said something unintelligible again. I asked, "Pardon?"

And then she asked, "Can I assist you?" It was then that I realised that she had been asking the same question in Chinese. Haha! But it was a crowded place and the noise was messing with my hearing. By then, I'd decided against the phone, not because of the BAD SALESMAN, but because it didn't fit what I was looking for. So I said my thanks and left.

On the way out, I passed another mobile phone shop and it had the Motorola ROKR on display. I tried it out, listening to the preloaded songs. Not bad, it sounded as clear as on the iPod. But I'm still not interested in it.

--

Technorati tags: ,

1 comment:

paddychicken said...

Sony Ericsson's are like glass. Don't drop them.

Post a Comment