Google Translate

Saturday, October 22, 2005

"The 40-Year-Old Virgin"

The 40-Year-Old Virgin
After waiting nearly three weeks since it opened, I finally got around to watching "The 40-Year-Old Virgin". I watched it with Jeff and Angela. It was also my first time at West Mall up in Bukit Batok. It's not one of my common haunts because it's out-of-the-way, not that it's far, but it's in the wrong direction of where I want to go normally.

I was supposed to meet Jeff for dinner at 7:30pm, but he was running late, and the food court was packed (as was to be expected on a weekend), so I wandered around the mall. In the lobby, students from Yusof Ishak Secondary School put up a performance with cultural dances and precision drill (by the National Cadet Corps). I caught bits of it as I took the escalators up the five floors.

On the fifth, I found a favourite haunt, a bookstore, run by a not-so-favourite retailer, Popular. And lo and behold, there on the shelf, was a plastic-wrapped copy of "iCon Steve Jobs: The Greatest Second Act in the History of Business". I contemplated buying it at a later date from a non-chain bookstore, but finally gave in and bought it.

Met Jeff at 8pm, bought the tickets, ate at the food court, met Angela, then went up to the sixth floor to watch the show. And it was hilarious! Well, at least the first half was, and then the second-half was more of a dramedy (drama+comedy). Overall, it's a typical boy-meets-girl love story. The twist is that he has to be egged on by three sex-crazed colleagues who somehow become his mentors.

Unfortunately, having so many mentors diluted the impact of their teachings. I kept feeling like I had to jump from character to character to figure out who was speaking the truth. And for a comedy, I don't want to be waylaid like that. I just want some mindless entertainment.

On one hand, I can relate to the main character, Andy. He says that he respects women so much that he stays away from them. He lives in his childhood (with his collectible toys) and is very much a geek. And he's quite a straight-arrow kind of guy. Yeah, definitely can relate.

The three of us agreed: the funniest part was the waxing scene. I think every guy in the hall felt the pain. The other little bit I liked: the two foul-mouth Pakistanis who were there mostly for laughs. (No, not because I have something against the Pakistanis, but because the characters are so way out there that it's humorously unbelievable.)

I wonder how much eBay sponsored. The name was mentioned a few times and its logo was plastered across a window. It must be significantly less than Circuit City, on which the fictional "Tech City" was based (the name and logo are similar).

I have got to try the "keep asking questions" trick one day.

--

Technorati tags: , ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm, i'd recommend deuce bigalow european giggolo if u prefer mindless entertainment.(: i sppose guys wld prefer bigalow over the 40 year old virgin cos its a typical jocks-would-lurve flick (:

quirkz said...

Hi! i've been reading your blog:) i enjoy the techie updates, especially all the apple stuff. anyways i just caught this movie yesterday, and i agree that it's totally hilarious! loved the way he looked utterly clueless when trying to fabricate his non-existant love-life to his friends =D *thumbs up!*

Kelly Chan said...

Eddy & I went to watch the show over the weekend as well... I say it's better than Deuce Bigalow!

Must ask us along next time ah!

Post a Comment