Google Translate

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

"Jack and Sarah"

Jack and Sarah
Little ditty, about "Jack and Sarah",
Two blokes in Britain gonna find their way to love.
Jacky gonna raise a daughter,
Sarah's the nanny who's gonna fill his empty heart.

- adapted from John Mellencamp's "Jack and Diane"
I first watched this show way back when in Madison. I don't remember the exact month or year. It was just another afternoon, I was feeling bored, and started flipping channels. Finally, I settled on what is now Women's Entertainment, a cable channel for women. For some reason, though it started slowly, I continued watching it... and gradually found myself liking it.

So I was pleased when it was shown today in the afternoon. Since I was out, I recorded it and watched it when I returnede. It's a charming story about a British widower who has to juggle raising his baby daughter with his busy legal career. In the end, he finds an American former waitress to be his nanny. Though she has no idea what she's getting into, they eventually settle down well. Complication arises (which is quite forced in the story) and they go their separate ways, but his mother-in-law conspires to get them back together.

I think I like this show because it's less of an outright romance flick and more about two adults coping with their individual situations, each other, and a baby. He had just lost his wife at childbirth while she is the proverbial stranger in a strange land. It's cheesy, slow, and so-so plot, but for me, it's sufficiently engaging.

Besides, it has Samantha Mathis, Dame Judi Dench, and Sir Ian McKellen (as a street drunk!) in the same movie. Nice!

--

Technorati tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment