Google Translate

Friday, August 19, 2005

Ripping of MP3s

The Intellectual Property Office of Singapore clarified in the press today that owners of (music) CDs are not allowed, under the copyright law, to "rip" the tracks to MP3s for listening on MP3 players. This has obviously caused an uproar in Singapore, especially among the tech-happy youth. Are iPodders and Zen Micronians in danger of possessing white elephants?

What about fair use? In the United States, a consumer may use a legally purchased medium (book, music, video) as he sees fit, e.g. exporting to a different format from the original. It turns out that there's no such thing in Singapore, in spite of our free trade agreement with the United States.

So what's an iPodder, like me, to do? Well, I think I've spotted a loophole in IPOS' rule. What is it?

Ha, you really expect me to tell you? In a public forum?

Nay!

--

Technorati tags: , , , ,

5 comments:

paddychicken said...

Hey is this online anywhere and do you have a link to it? I'd like to see it for myself but it's not on the IPOS site.

Sivasothi said...

Hmmm..best I could find on IPOS site was this:

"It could be an infringement for commercial advantage if a person copies and recompiles music CDs as a service or reproduces music compilation for sale as a business."

See: http://www.newiplaws.org.sg/index_chapter.htm

Chin said...

Hey I ripped mine into aac and not mp3. Does it count?

Yuhui said...

paddychicken: It's in the newspapers, I also couldn't find it on the website, maybe it'll be updated soon.

sivasothi: Thanks for the link!

chin: If I knew the answer to that, I'd be working in IPOS, haha.

Indi said...

i never agree with the term Rip because when you make an MP3 from a WAV file in a CD the file sizes become compressed.

Ripping sounds very different from compressing.

Post a Comment