Google Translate

Friday, May 06, 2005

RIP Dr Wee Kim Wee

Dr. Wee Kim Wee
Picture by Roxanne
I'm kinda ashamed at myself. It took me a few hours to post an obituary entry upon hearing of Christopher Reeve's death, but almost a friggin' week to post one for a former Singaporean President.

I never met the man. I never spoke to the man. I only saw pictures of this small-sized guy who was either smiling or looking solemn, as one would expect a President to be. And from what I've learned about him, he was a friendly, if not the friendliest, President in Singapore's 40 years (and counting) of independence.

The only memory I have of him is a rather lame one: in school, my classmates and I used to joke that he could say his name forwards or backwards and still get it correct. Of course, back then, I thought that his name backwards would be "Eew Mik Eew", which doesn't sound very flattering for a President.

Rest in peace, Dr. Wee.

BTW enough with "The People's President" already! I understand that he's deserving of the moniker, but we don't need to get it drummed into our heads by the government-controlled media! In fact, I think it sounds like something that would come out of a "People's Republic".

--

Technorati tags: , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment