Google Translate

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Google Web Accelerator

Google Web Accelerator
And the Google goodies just keep on comin'!

Their latest tool: Google Web Accelerator. After installing, it speeds up your web surfing by retrieving web pages from Google's cache on its servers. It works with Firefox and Internet Exploder Explorer.

There are two question marks:
  1. What if I'm accessing private data, like reading email through the web browser?
    Fortunately, Google allows you to block it from accelerating some websites, but the way to do so may seem too technical and obscure for non-techies.
  2. What if the page was updated after Google had cached it?
    Honestly, I don't know how to answer this since I'm not a Google engineer. But if it's anything like how a proxy server works, then forcing a refresh in your web browser should pick up the updated page from the original website.
While undergoing beta testing, Google states that it works only in North America and Europe. Strange. I'm in Asia and have no problem being accelerated. I haven't noticed any significant difference, but the accelerator claims that I'm saving an average of two to four seconds per page load. As long as it doesn't significantly degrade my surfing experience, I think I'll just leave it alone.

--

Technorati tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment