Google Translate

Monday, March 07, 2005

iPod Nation

I've been meaning to write this for a while, and I think I should write it before it's no longer true.

Based on my cursory observation of people with earphones dangling from their ears, I have come to this conclusion:
  • half the people wearing earphones are using iPod earphones, and
  • most of the other half are handphone-connected earphones.
(This observation is made around Singapore, i.e. West Coast, Orchard, Raffles Place, in the MRT trains, on the buses, fellow pedestrians, etc.)

The significance of this observation is this: in spite of local company's Creative Technology's much ballyhooed push to grab the majority share of the digital music player market, it still trails Apple Computer by a huge margin. So much for the former's US$10 million (or however much they were going to spend on advertising and marketing) war chest, it seems.

I'm not against buying and/or using local products. I tried a Creative Zen player, and it's no big deal. The display isn't clear, the navigation is only up-down, and the device looks like something from the 1980s. It's comforting to know that people who reside in Singapore recognise good style with function.

--

Technorati tags: , , ,

1 comment:

Tym said...

I've noticed lots of iPod earphones too, in just my two weeks of iPod-dom. Most seem to be connected to iPod Minis, though.

Post a Comment