Google Translate

Monday, February 21, 2005

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

On the way home from work, two girls boarded the bus and sat opposite me, talking between themselves. And I did the one thing I could do: compared their facial appearances.

My attention was first drawn to girl on the right. In my opinion, she was less attractive than her friend. So I thought: why is that? Among the things I noted:
  • small eyes
  • long nose, ending in a pudgy way
  • buck teeth
  • small lips
  • long face
In comparison, her friend was more average-looking, e.g. bigger eyes, wider mouth. She didn't possess supermodel beauty nor the type who turns heads towards her. She was just a regular looking girl. But she "won" precisely because she had no features that stood out, e.g. buck teeth.

So is that what beauty is all about: a comparison between two people and deciding which one has less irregular features?

--

Technorati tags:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

beauty is very much about symmetry... and characteristics which are supposed indicators of fertility, such as the 0.7 waist-hip ratio for females and 'triangular' shape for males...

Post a Comment