Google Translate

Friday, January 28, 2005

My Out-of-Office messages

When I returned to the office today, a few people asked, "So where did you fly to?" And I just chuckled. That's because these people had emailed me yesterday and received this response:
"Back on 28/1.
Gone flyin'.
Get Firefox!"
The first line is self-explanatory. The last line is some good ol' open source propoganda. The middle line, though, was entirely tongue-in-cheek. Of course, I did not fly anywhere. Nor did I intend to. Besides, where could I fly for one day? This isn't a continental country like the United States or Australia.

But people read it, and knew that it was a joke, and continued the joke by asking me where I had flown to.

In a previous Out-of-Office message, instead of "Gone flyin'", I had said, "Gone fishin'". The next day, a colleague asked me, half in seriousness, if I had really fished. Of course not! And it was raining that day too.

How did I come up with these silly little messages? All credit to a little known and no-longer-published DC comic book series about a small dinosaur who happens to survive into the modern world. Its name is Gon and all of the comic titles are "Gon "-somewhere. I never read any of the comics, but the phrasing of the titles and the little dinosaur stuck in my mind. Now, they've come in somewhat usefully.

Hmm, I wonder what I'll "do" on my next off day.

No comments:

Post a Comment