Google Translate

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Lost my handphone, found it today

Do you believe in retribution? I'm beginning to. After bad-mouthing the government yesterday, I lost my handphone a few hours later. I was walking home after taking the bus when I realised that my trousers pocket that holds the phone felt lighter and flatter than normal. SEZ was gone!

(BTW my handphone is named SEZ, short for "Sony Ericsson Z600. "Sez" is also slang for "says".)

I remembered fingering it on my way out of the office while waiting for the company transport, so I knew that I must have dropped it at one of three possible locations: on the company transport, on the public bus, or on my walk home. I retraced my steps, but couldn't find SEZ anywhere on the footpath, so that last possibility was eliminated.

When I got home, I immediately called to disconnect my line. Can't be too paranoid in this day and age. And then, mild worry set in. I'm not that worried about losing a $600 gadget. I'm more concerned that someone somewhere may have access to not only my contact list, but also some text messages. Fortunately, I don't have any incriminating pictures or music/ringtones, ha.

But then, the silver lining set in too. Maybe this was a sign for me to get a brand spankin' new Sony Ericsson S700i. Or a 3G phone. Ha. Haha. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

As I was about to sleep last night, I thought that maybe I should've called SEZ to see if anyone picks up, which would imply that someone found it, which could possibly lead to its return. But I had already disconnected the line, so that was a moot point. Which just goes to show that my brain works slower than normal.

Then this morning, on the company transport, a colleague whipped out a familiar looking purple handphone. SEZ! So I am reunited with my handphone and contact list and text messages. And one of the first things I did was transfer my more sensitive messages to my palmOne Tungsten T for safekeeping. Now, all I have to do is take a trip to SingTel's customer service centre to reconnect my line.

This brought two things to mind:
  1. Now I know why handphone users like lanyards. By looping the handphone around one's body part, there is a smaller chance of losing it. I shall never make fun of lanyards again.
  2. I need to figure out how to lock SEZ from unauthorised use. I have already set the passwords, but unless I read the manual wrongly, the passwords are useful only if the phone is turned off then on (and not simply on standby). I wonder if there's a way to enable the password/s for any user-initiated operations.

No comments:

Post a Comment