Google Translate

Saturday, December 06, 2008

I queued for more than an hour for Ben & Jerry's ice cream!

Entrance to Fort Canning Green
I now know that I'm a natural born Singaporean. I queued up for food. And not free food either. I had to fork over hard-earned cash for Ben & Jerry's ice cream.

Then again, for someone who's never tasted Ben & Jerry's ice cream before, I think it was quite an achievement for me to go through such "pain and torture" for a moment of sweet, creamy ice cream.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Ben & Jerry's held their first Chunk Fest in Singapore today at Fort Canning Green. It started at 2pm, but I arrived after 3pm after attending to an errand. I met up with a few others, who were there actually for the Vermonster eating challenge. Some of them had entered their names to participate, but none of them made the short-listed teams.

Crowd at Fort Canning Green Queue for ice cream
Since I'd come for the ice cream, I joined the queue at the rear of the Green. That was at 3:55pm. The queue snaked around the grassland. After the afternoon rain, the ground was slick with mud. And due to the queue, the ground had been well squished. Those who wore hundred-dollar shoes must've shed a tear for their stained footwear. I even saw a woman in heels! How did she survive the queue?

While waiting, the Vermonster challenge took place. The winning team downed 20 scoops of ice cream and an obscene tonne of toppings in less than five minutes. And to put that in further perspective, the second team took more than double that time to finish their tub.

Strawberry Banana Frozen Yoghurt and Vanilla Chocolate Chunk
At about 5:10pm, I finally got my ice cream. Two scoops set me back eight dollars. Given the long wait and the money spent, I chose flavours that were supposedly not available in Singapore: Strawberry Banana Frozen Yoghurt (too sweet for my liking, if I dare say so) and Vanilla Chocolate Chunk (which I highly suspect was not what I ordered).

3:55pm to 5:10pm was more time than I ever thought I'd spend in line for anything. (And for anyone who's calculating, that's 75 minutes, or one hour and 15 minutes!) "I queued for 75 minutes and all I got were two scoops of Ben & Jerry's ice cream (and muddy shoes and pants)." Not that I'm complaining, of course.

Swensen's Coit Tower
As if that cup of ice cream wasn't enough, I met up with the others (who'd sought cooler and less muddy pastures) at Swensen's for dinner. I ended my meal with a Coit Tower: a scoop of chocolate and a scoop of vanilla ice cream, mixed with chocolate fudge, banana slices and diced almond, and capped with a strawberry topping, whipped cream and a cherry.

I should probably mention that dinner was my first real meal of the day. Thus, I didn't see an issue with my calorie intake. (Though I wouldn't recommend such an unhealthy diet for anyone, regardless of how many meals or how much calories you consume!)

And to put that in perspective...

I'm hungry now.

--

2 comments:

Joanna said...

must be a cold and wet affair for you? I thought it was raining..

Yuhui said...

It was wet, but not cold.

Post a Comment