Google Translate

Saturday, June 04, 2005

Blind date #7

I'm halfway through my "quota" of dates with Lunch Actually. Today was date number seven at Gusto Restaurant at Wisma Atria. It (the restaurant) seems like a new joint, with comfortable soft cushion seats, wooden tables, wooden bar, etc. And it serves Italian food.

I arrived first and was ushered to a table. I noticed a girl walk in a while later and she was ushered to another table, so I thought nothing about it, until the waitress told me that I was at the wrong table. So I walked over to join her. Which was a good thing because the table she had came with the soft cushion-y seat that goes around the table (does that make sense?).

She: open, friendly, sociable, direct, chatty, beautiful, trendy, works as a training coordinator for regional in-house staff, Catholic, likes The Corrs and The Carpenters.

She was very direct from the start about my involvement with Lunch Actually, where I lived and what my age was. Turns out that she's a few years younger than me, though I don't remember listing that as a preference, but hey, it's not like I'm a cradle snatcher. We started off by talking a lot about our jobs, especially for her since she was going on a business trip soon.

Over lunch, I found out that she enjoys hanging out with her friends, especially at karaokes because she likes to sing. We guessed each other's secondary schools. We also talked a bit about our travel experiences and I related a bit about my time in East Timor. She also revealed that she had had a horrible first Lunch Actually date, so she was wary of me at first, but I guess I got into her good books, because we agreed to stay in touch.

We exchanged phone numbers and MSN ID (because *everyone* is on MSN Messenger, sigh, stupid Microsoft dominance...). She joked that she would message me like one of those spammers, but I mentioned that since I hardly ever received such messages, I'd know that she was the one. But I told her that she could introduce herself as an exotic lady from the far east...

She mentioned that she was going to buy a necklace that she had been eyeing for a long time... and then she asked if I wanted to shop with her. Needless to say, I said "Sure!" So we paid for our lunch, then I followed her to Chomel. Unfortunately, they didn't have the necklace that she wanted, or she had seen it wrongly. We went to another jewellery store, where she found a similar necklace. She was looking for one that had a jewel-embedded ring, but the one that she found had a ring that was a size too large, so she passed on it.

As we made our way out of Wisma Atria, we stopped by a clothing store. I browsed the men's section while she headed for the women's. I found a couple of clothes that might be worth a second look sometime soon, especially since this is the season of The Great Singapore Sale. After taking some mental notes, I went over to her. She had found an army green jacket that she liked but wasn't sure about. She asked for my opinion and I told her the truth: she looked great in it.

She looked at her reflection from a few angles, which gave me the chance to look at her from a few angles as well. (Ack, I sound a lecher. I'M NOT!) She's not slim, but she's not round either. Yet she carried herself off really well. I could see why she'd had a few relationships before.

She finally bought it and we proceeded out of the mall. She was leaving on her trip in the evening, so she needed to be at the airport. We said our goodbyes and went our separate ways.

The thing that I need to keep in mind about her is that because she is an open and friendly person by nature, I must ensure that I don't read her signs wrongly, in case I mistake a simple gesture as an invitation to something more. We'll see what happens along the way.

---

The funny thing about this date is that it was the first one where I had a premonition that it was going to be good. It happened when I read the profile that Lunch Actually had provided me before the date. I don't know if it was because it said she was Eurasian, or that she liked Indian food, or that she enjoyed horror movies. In fact, after reading her profile, I thought that she was the exact opposite of what I had specified in my preferences!

Or maybe it was her name... which I shan't mention in public.

Whatever the case, I should pace myself and not jump the gun. Yes, I am excited about this lady.

---

Since I was in town, which is a rare thing, I stopped by Border's and picked up two books: Isaac Asimov's "The Gods Themselves" and the comic/graphic novel, "Watchmen", by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. And then I returned home.

--

Technorati tags: ,

8 comments:

Catherine *MeowMeow* said...

Hi.. came across ur blog via tomorrow...

Find ur blind dates wrote-up v interested.. coz i'm also in the process of searching love..

I actually searched all ur blind-dates articles.. but managed to view till up blind-date#3..*where #1 & 2 write-up?*

anyway, good luck for tis.. & hope u & her can develop into the next level.. :)

Yuhui said...

Blind dates #1 and #2 are in my LiveJournal.

Anonymous said...

hey good luck mate, came across your blog trying to find out more about this Lunch Actually thingy online... do let know us know how your other dates went! :) we're cheering you on!

Anonymous said...

hmm... think I dated her too... she works for an MNC dealing with Internet products yar? (not getting specifics)

good luck... am into my 8th dates.

Anonymous said...

Came across your blog now, which is 2 months after your Date #7. So how did you and that lady develop? Hope you guys are now into your nth date! Good luck mate :)

I can almost understand what you went through, cos I joined another dating agency Two To Tango. Went for 3 dates, really like the 3rd one. Am waiting for the next one to come .. The consultant is really good one. Felt very comfortable talking to her, and she did a good job too.

anyway, all the best to the both of us!

lunch actually said...

Hi everyone,

I have joined these two agencies - lunch actually and dating loft

lunch actually - feel been che.t.., dump anyone to you from computer match,emergency
number off during your dating, not specific in your dating
location..... you comment what girl you want and they don't even bother you....from this, you can tell what kind of services they
provide.......

dating loft - $$ well spent, personal, honest, reliable

I am not promoting for anyone...just don't want you to feel money not well spent....can meet to prove what i said....

Janice Chua said...

Hi,

I m intending to go for dating agency, how do you advise on lunch actually? Or any other to recommend?

Yuhui BC said...

Hi Janice, I'm not sure how Lunch Actually is now, since it's been a few years since I used their service. My experience back in 2005 started positively but gradually became less ideal.

Post a Comment